just start. (foundation #1: eat right)

zivile-arunas-158138

Okay, so how are you going to get started on your wellness journey? That answer is individual to you. It depends on what your main goals are… and what your greatest strengths and weaknesses are. But whatever your goals are, I’m a firm believer in the importance of good foundations. If you don’t have a good foundation, you have nothing to build on! So, over the next couple weeks, I’m going to give you a brief overview of five healthy lifestyle foundations, along with a few pointers to get going in the right direction with each of these.

Remember, even baby steps are steps in the right direction.

Foundation #1: Eat right

The food we eat is what fuels our bodies, so it makes sense that the first foundation is eating right! I always think of the food I eat as supplying my body with the raw materials it needs to carry out its thousands (even millions) of internal functions daily. Quite truly, what we put in is what we will get out of our bodies. If we eat junk, we will feel like–well, junk. The human body is incredibly resilient and can survive on the most extreme of diets. But we don’t want to just survive, we want to thrive! Further, many ailments are simply nutrient deficiencies–which makes sense. When your body is lacking the raw materials it needs, it can’t function the way it’s meant to! Here are a few healthy eating tips that you can put into practice today:

  1. Remember that healthy eating is all about choices. When I was in college, I refused to buy cookies when I went grocery shopping. If I didn’t buy them, I couldn’t eat them! Instead, I chose the healthiest options I could manage to make in my dorm room with my mini fridge & my hot plate. If you can choose to eat healthy food 80-90% of the time, you’re well on your way to a healthy lifestyle! Choose a goal that is realistic for you. I love Big Star burgers just as much as the next girl–having the freedom to choose whatever I want about 10% of the time, makes it much easier to choose the healthy option the other 90% of the time. (Check out this post if you need a little guidance on what healthy eating looks like, anyway.)
  2. Think about how you feel after eating. Nobody enjoys feeling weighted down or bloated following a meal. Give thought to the connection between the food you eat & how it makes you feel, and you will be more drawn to the healthier choices that leave you feeling energized & ready to take on your day.
  3. Two words: Meal prep. Convenience is sometimes a necessity in our busy lives, so investing an hour or two of time to prepare healthy meals for the week is so worthwhile. Preparing meals ahead of time makes healthy eating convenient! If you don’t feel like you have the time to meal prep, remember: when you give your body the fuel it needs, you will be more energized and productive with the time you have. Healthy living is all about investing!

    Bonus: Take supplements. Even with a well-balanced and healthy diet, it is difficult to get all the nutrients our bodies need to thrive. Soil depletion and a host of other factors leave the food we do get less nutrient-rich than in past times. (Disclaimer: That doesn’t mean you shouldn’t try to eat well! As my friend Dana says, the food you eat will either feed disease or fight disease, so you’ll want to choose the food that’s going to help your body fight.) It is important to choose a multivitamin supplement that is of high quality and comes from whole food sources so that your body can make the most of it. I absolutely love dōTERRA’s Lifelong Vitality Pack. To put it simply, it makes me into a functioning human being!

Choose today how you will put these principles into practice. I guarantee, as you begin to incorporate these healthy eating habits into your lifestyle, you will feel so much better, and it will become so worthwhile to you.

I’d love to hear your favorite healthy eating tips – leave a comment below!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s